Track of the Week

My first ever track of the week has been on repeat in my headphones this week. 'Navy Blue' is from the queer indie pop band MUNA's second album 'Saves The World', a record that until the last few weeks I hadn't really been all that aware of. Obviously, I'm quite late jumping on the MUNA train. Most people from the artist and fan groups that I'm a part of have heard of and enjoy MUNA's music, yet somehow I hadn't really found my spark with them until now. 

Over the last week, I've listened to each of their three albums and come to terms with the fact that I'm firmly in my 'Saves The World' era at the minute, although of course looking forward to moving into the next one. Even just looking at the track list and Apple Music album notes, a few songs instantly caught my eye, one of which was 'Navy Blue', mostly because it's my favourite colour. And this song did not disappoint.

The first thing that sticks out about it for me is that heavy synth bass line, almost like a pit in my stomach and it sets the atmosphere perfectly for the rest of the song. Lyrically, it's also super cool and the different lyrical concepts are tied in really well with the ideas of navy blue and drowning. Personally, my favourite lyric has to be 'Weren't you gonna love me if I just did everything right?'. Simple, but powerful and the perfect way to communicate that desperation of trying to get someone else to love you and treat you right. The coda at the end for me is one to scream to on a rainy drive. In fact, this whole album is ideal for a rainy drive. 

So, I'd recommend this first track of the week to anyone who wants to feel something. It's not really all that specific in terms of the situation, which means it can be applied to pretty much any dysfunctional relationship romantic or otherwise, and it perfectly encapsulates the metaphor of drowning in somebody. Overall a great tune, I'm so happy to have been vibing to MUNA this week and I hope I can be the spark that someone else needs to get into them!







Comments

Popular Posts