Lucy Dacus Once Said

Photo credit: Ebru Yildiz

Anyone who knows me personally will know that I am always quoting media in conversation, and one of my favourite artists to quote is Lucy Dacus purely because she writes some of the most beautiful, poignant lyrics I’ve ever heard in my life. So, here are a few of my favourite Lucy Dacus quotes and why they are so perfect. 

  • ‘You don’t have to be sad / To make something worth hearing’ is the advice that all us sad musicians need. When writing in a small scene where emotionality is prized in music, it’s good to remember that we shouldn’t sacrifice our mental health for writing material. 
  • ‘It feels good to be known so well / I can’t hide from you like I hide from myself’. This quote from ‘True Blue’ by Boygenius is amazing because it really does harness the warmth of being loved as well as the fear of being known. 
  • The whole sunset verse in ‘Going Going Gone’ is the most beautiful description of a sunset I’ve ever heard. If you haven’t listened to it, you definitely should. 
  • ‘I feel crazy in ways I never say / Will you still love me if it turns out I’m insane? / I know what you’ll say / But it helps to hear you say it anyway’. To be honest, the whole of ‘We’re In Love’ is just a lyrical masterpiece, but this first chorus especially rips my heart out and stamps on it. The way this is executed in the song lives rent free in my mind, a pure picture of love among friends.
  • ‘Your clothes in the dryer / Your hair on the shower wall’. Again, the whole of ‘Please Stay’ is so beautiful lyrically, but I feel like the start is super underrated, especially the way in which Lucy builds the picture of a home and all of the reminders that the subject of the song is gone. There is rarely a time that this song doesn’t make me cry.
So, to sum it up. Listen to Lucy Dacus if you want to be painfully aware of your own emotions, but like in a poetic way. 

Comments

Popular Posts