Track of the Week


 My track of the week this week is a bit of a throwback, which is great because it has a kind of nostalgia that you can only get from building a relationship with a song. I picked ‘newdemo’ by Soccer Mommy because I listened to it this week after not hearing it for about a year and was just amazed by what a brilliantly-written song it is. 

In terms of genre, it’s a pretty soft indie folk/pop track. The mood is quite warm, the vocals being backed by a super reverb-y acoustic guitar and some soft vocal and string synths. This instrumental composition, I think, is what gives the song a new and yet timeless feel. It originally came out in 2022, but if I heard that it was released in the early days of indie folk I probably wouldn’t be at all shocked. All in all, the song is easy to listen to and flows really well, it takes its soft aesthetic and runs with it. 

Lyrically, this has to be one of my favourite Soccer Mommy songs, which says a lot since she also wrote ‘Scorpio Rising’ and ‘yellow is the colour of her eyes’. The track is a bit of a political statement, however it doesn’t express the sentiment in the angry way that it almost deserves to be expressed, rather expressing it in the hopeless way that a lot of us do these days. My favourite lyric from this song, and there was a lot of competition, is ‘Sometimes I dream that the dam at the river will keep out the flooding of blue / But what is a dream but a hope you hold onto, a lie that you wish would come true’. I feel that this line perfectly captures the essence of growing up and losing the innocence of being able to dream about and believe in a better world. It’s truthfully difficult to describe how much I love this track, and I would recommend it to anyone who’s looking for some music to just sit with their feelings and be soft for a bit. 


Comments

Popular Posts