Band Spotlight: Boygenius


Today, I thought I’d treat myself and talk about one of my favourite bands of all time. Formed of three equally brilliant solo artists, Boygenius was created in the lead up to a co-headline tour. As a product of Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker and Phoebe Bridgers’ friendship and mutual admiration, the band’s music draws on each of their solo artistry and musical skills to create something unique and truly genius. 

Unfortunately for me I wasn’t quite in the loop when Boygenius released their first EP and embarked on their triple headline tour in 2018. The EP features six songs recorded at Sound City in LA and this was the first time that the trio really realised just how well their distinctive sounds blended. In fact, in terms of their music they are just about perfect for each other. This sound developed into the full length ‘the record’ released earlier this year and presumably the EP ‘the rest’ which is coming out tomorrow! ‘the record’ is highly critically acclaimed, and has been followed up by a months-long tour including dates all across the world. While I couldn’t make it to the tour, what I’ve seen across social media and heard from those who could has given me intense FOMO because it sounds awesome. 

So, I may be preaching to the choir here but if you haven’t already heard Boygenius what are you doing? You need to go stream them right now and join me waiting for ‘the rest’ to come out tomorrow. Bonus points if you fall in love with one or all of the boys. 


Comments

Popular Posts